As part of the applications process, Global Study UK (GSUK) collects and processes personal data relating to you. GSUK is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection
The Data Controller is Global Study UK, 22 Gilbert Street, London W1K 5EJ
If you would like information about how GSUK uses your personal data please
contact [email protected], + 44 (0)20 7486 4762.
Data Protection Officer
The Data Protection Officer is responsible for advising the GSUK on compliance with data protection legislation and monitoring its performance against it.
If you have any concerns regarding the way in which GSUK is processing your personal data, please contact Andrew Wilson, Director of Operations, [email protected], + 44 (0)20 7486 4762.
What information does GSUK collect?
Information held about you may include:
• Your name, contact information such as address, email address and telephone number, as well as your date of birth, country of domicile and your nationality, we also collect information about your passport and visa.
• Information relating to your education and employment history, the high school(s), sixth form college(s) and other colleges or universities you have attended and places where you have worked, the courses you have completed, dates of study and examination results.
• Information used to contact you or your next of kin in case of an emergency.
• Information about your family or personal circumstances, and both academic and extracurricular interests, for example where this is relevant to the assessment of your suitability to receive a bursary.
• Financial information collected for the purposes of administering fees and charges, loans, grants, studentships and financial support.
Global Study UK also needs to collect and process personal ‘special categories of data’ under the GDPR including:
• your health and disabilities, to provide support and enable access to university services and to determine course suitability
• gender preference
• previous criminal convictions, that may affect a university and visa application.
You can access the data we have about you sending a request to
[email protected], + 44 (0)20 7486 4762.
If you need to update your personal data at any point prior to enrolment you can contact your dedicated counsellor who is assigned to you, via + 44 (0)20 7486 4762 or emailing [email protected]
Why do we collect your data?
• We collect and process your information to process and apply on your behalf to partner universities of GSUK, assess your suitability to attend one of our partners courses, and communicate with you about decisions on your application, and about preparing for and making it to university.
• To inform you and give you access to informative Global Study UK run events.
• Where consent has been granted, such as registration, electronic correspondence, event attendance, data collected may be shared with Partner Universities in accordance to our Privacy Policies that we have in place with these institutions.
• We also have a duty to report to statutory authorities on data such as the qualifications our applicants enter university with.
We may collect your personal data in a number of ways, for example:
• When you choose GSUK to apply on your behalf, a qualified GSUK student counsellor will request require documents as specified by our partner university applications guidelines
• From third parties, for example from your previous or current school, sixth form college, university or employers who may provide a reference about you or who may sponsor your studies.
How your data is held?
Your personal data is held within our company database and accessed by your assigned counsellor, assigned members of Operations Team and Directors of GSUK
All data relating to applicants is held within the EEA and will not be transferred outside of the EEA.
Who has access to data?
GSUK may share your data with a number of internal departments as part of the normal processing of your application. This may include:
• If you tell us about a disability, this information is shared with the Regional Managers or Director of Admissions.
• If you are an international applicant from a country that we hold events in we will share data with our Marketing team so they can invite you to additional events/activities during the enrolment period.
• If you have applied for a place at a university partner, they will pass information onto their managed accommodation. we may share data about the status of your application with the accommodation services.
GSUK may disclose certain personal information to external organisations to carry out our legal responsibilities, functions and manage our operations or because you asked us to. These may include:
• Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
• Relevant government departments (eg Home Office, including UK Visas and
Immigration, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Department of Health.
Department of Education)
• Office for Students (OFS)
• Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS)
• Office for Fair Access (OFFA)
• Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA)
• Student Loans Company (SLC)
• Relevant professional or statutory regulatory bodies and other course
• Local authorities to administer council tax and for electoral registration
• Health trusts or private companies contracted to provide occupational health
• The police and other law enforcement agencies
• Your sponsors, where a contract exists
• The providers of any external learning or training placements
• Library services, including access to online resources and dyslexia support
• Third parties who work with us to provide student accommodation
• Your parents/guardian if you are under 18 years old.
We will not normally disclose any other personal information about you to other external organisations without your consent unless it is in your vital interests to do so (for example an emergency situation).
How does the GSUK protect data?
Global Study UK takes the security of your data seriously. It has internal policies and controls in place to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by our employees in the proper
performance of their duties.
How long we will keep your data?
GSUK keeps personal data for as long as it is needed for the purpose for which it was originally collected. We will normally keep applicant data for one year after the end of the recruitment cycle in which you applied, though if you become a
student your data will be kept according to the student records retention schedule.
Data subject’s rights: access, rectification, erasure, restriction of processing, objection to processing, right to data portability
As a data subject, you have a number of rights. You can:
• access and obtain a copy of your data via a subject access request
• require GSUK to change incorrect or incomplete data
• require GSUK to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the
data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing
• object to the processing of your data, in certain circumstances, for example,
GSUK is relying on its legitimate interests as the legal ground for processing; or
for direct marketing purposes
• ask GSUK to stop processing data for a period if data is inaccurate or there is a
dispute about whether or not your interests override GSUK’s legitimate grounds
for processing data
• withdraw your consent at any time, where we have requested and obtained
• where our lawful basis is consent or performance of a contract we will allow
portability of your data.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact Andrew Wilson, Director of Operations, [email protected], + 44 (0)20 7486 4762.
Whether providing personal data is a statutory or contractual requirement and the consequences for failing to provide the data
We are processing your data as part of the contract we have with you.
The existence of automated decision making, including profiling, information about the logic involved, including the significance and the envisaged consequences of such processing for the data subject
We will not use your personal data for automated decision making or profiling about you as an individual.
The right to complain to the ICO
If you are unsatisfied with the way that Global Study UK has processed your personal data, or have any questions or concerns about your data please contact [email protected].
If we are not able to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, you have the right to apply to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Changes to this notice
We keep our privacy notices under regular review. This privacy notice was last updated in May 2020.
Other privacy notices
We do our utmost to protect your privacy. Please be aware that other privacy notices exist within GSUK in respect of data held, including but not limited, to activities in relation to your enquiries, application, current students, alumni and
use of our website.